Tindall Associates, Inc., known as TAI (pronounced as T.A.I.), was founded in the mid-1970s and later incorporated as a privately held ‘C’ Corporation. The initial business was general insurance consulting.
In early 2018, TAI’s parent company, LOGiQ3 Group was acquired by RGAx. RGAx is the transformation engine and a wholly owned subsidiary of Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA). A Fortune 500 company, RGA is among the leading global providers of life reinsurance and financial solutions. Today, TAI is the premier provider of life reinsurance solutions in North American, with the capability of expanding to international markets. Reinsurance is global business, and TAI’s base system is flexible and can be customized to meet the needs of these new markets. TAI offers a complete software solution for the life companies to self-report all their reinsurance information; assumed, ceded or retroceded in an electronic format to share with their partners on a cost-effective basis.
TAI is seeking a talented COBOL Programmer responsible for implementing and maintaining complex COBOL-language routines to accommodate the needs of our clients. Works with analysts, both internal and external and client IT personnel to ensure systems meet required criteria for performance and results.
The Programmer should be versed in COBOL development. The individual should ideally have experience working in all phases of the System Development Life Cycle and should be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding within each phase of development. The Programmer must demonstrate excellent communication skills as they are expected to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
This position can be occupied from our main Office in Orland Park, Illinois but we are also open to candidate to work remotely.
- Participate in full life-cycle development from requirements through implementation;
- Understand the business needs in order to effectively transform business needs into software;
- Possess a working knowledge and academic background in the COBOL development language and environment;
- Work as a self-starter in a team environment;
- Multi-task in a fast-paced work environment;
- Understand and follow low-level technical written instructions;
- Discuss, understand and follow verbal direction;
- Communicate clearly and effectively with peers and management;
- Exhibit strong interpersonal and customer service interaction skills;
- Provides direction on development, execution and monitoring of product roadmaps;
- Experience with Reinsurance and/or Life Insurance beneficial;
- Demonstrate leadership through the ability to comprehend our customers’ needs and diffuse their concerns using strong insurance industry knowledge, a high level of focus and attention to detail.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer science or equivalent work experience;
- Technical expertise in COBOL, CICS, VSAM, JCL, ISPF and associated support tools is also needed;
- Minimum of 10 years COBOL programming experience;
- Exposure to Microsoft .NET, VB.NET and Microsoft SQL Server are a plus;
- Proven work ethic with strong time management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work with and lead diverse teams and meetings;
- Experience in the Insurance and /or Reinsurance industry is a plus;
- Experience with the TAI Life Reinsurance System is a plus;
- LOMA certifications are a plus.
Key Factors for Success:
- Willingness to travel up to 10%;
- Ability and drive to deliver on time, while working in a semi-autonomous environment;
- Ability to develop, communicate and maintain an accurate project schedule.
- Adaptability and flexibility to work with the tools and solutions selected by the team;
- Ability to work effectively and build relationships with all levels of personnel, customers, suppliers, consultants - both internally and externally;
- Exceptional communication skills, with an ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and provides understanding of-project related information to all stakeholders.
This role operates in a professional office environment
Dexterity to operate a laptop computer, cell phone, office equipment and other equipment as needed
Ability to remain in a sitting position for extended periods of time
Project work will require travel which may include domestic or international locations by means of air, train, auto, and/or walking
Mobility and ability to travel to / from client location(s) with a laptop computer, work material and luggage.
This job description is designed to cover or contain a general listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be added as required.